toddler backpack

I loooove to make bags. And I love anything miniature. And I love this mini toddler backpack! The pattern is Made by Rae and can be found here. It is a quick sew, completed in an afternoon, including cutting and interfacing.

fabrics ::
main orange – Robert Kaufman Remix Plus in tangerine 
turquoise side panels – sun print by Alison Glass, Andover fabrics
blue straps – Waterfront Park, Domino in navy, Michael Miller fabric
lining – Robert Kaufman, Essex yarn dyed in steel

interfacing ::
one layer of Pellon SF101
one layer of Pellon fusible fleece

zipper – long pull zipper in parrot blue from zip it

pi day

So in my effort to start to have a more handmade wardrobe for B and me, pi day of the century inspired me to make a couple of things for B. It is more of a little to no sew project but it was just the thing to get me motivated! 

pi day is March 14 (3.14) and this year it is pi day of the century, March 14, 2015 (3.1415). And at 9:26 to be exact (3.1415926).
I made a quick and simple t shirt and a belt for B to wear for the occasion. The t shirt is a no sew since I just bought a $2 shirt to decorate and the belt just needed 2 quick stitches. 
For the t shirt, I used the negative space from number stickers and some fabric paint. Using the stickers makes a fast and cheap stencil. 

1. wash t shirt
2. plan your design, use a ruler to make words/numbers straight
3. cut around stickers and place the “negative” space of the stickers on the t shirt

4. use tape to block out spaces in between stickers to protect the t shirt from getting paint where you don’t want it.
5. using a sponge brush, dab fabric paint onto the t shirt … use an up and down dabbing motion, not a back and forth swiping motion to prevent paint getting underneath the stickers/stencil. this will also prevent visible brush strokes.
6. let the paint dry and peal off the stickers. iron over design to set the fabric paint.
7. wear!

I started the number on the front of the t shirt and then wrapped it around the back…

t shirt – Hobby Lobby (see similar here). size 2t. (this size seems to run small)
stickers – Michael’s and Hobby Lobby
fabric paint – Michael’s – Martha Stewart Crafts Satin paint in Wild Blueberry
For the belt, I didn’t take any pictures of the process. It is just a simple cotton webbing belt made by threading 2 d-rings on one end and sew in place using a zigzag stitch and fold the other end back a half inch and sew in place, again, with a zigzag stitch, to have a nice finished end. 
For the numbers, I just wrote on the cotton webbing with Sharpie. That is it!
1. 1 inch cotton webbing – Hobby Lobby or any fabric store
2. 2, 1 inch d-rings – Hobby Lobby or any fabric store

see  ya! i’m going to get myself some pie!

mom’s super tote

For my mom’s birthday, I made her a Super Tote. I knew I wanted to make it mostly, if not all black. I found this Andover Fabric, Downton Abbey fabric, black on black design. I love it! And my mom and I love the show! So, perfect fabric to use! However, I could not find a black that matched to use with the Downton Abbey fabric. Most of the solid blacks were too blue and totally clashed. Well, then I thought I could use leather. Yeah! Leather! That would be awesome! … or a total fail! (sewing leather can be scary!) I looked in my leather stash and I had some black I could use. Here goes nothing…..

And I LOVE how it turned out! 
Why was I so afraid? 
And the black went along great with my fabric. 
All the leather I use is recycled leather jackets from Good Will. I’ve scored a couple of different colors at around $15 a coat. Look for men’s jackets, long men’s jackets or long women’s jackets to get the most leather. If they are older they tend to be softer, worn in leather…. which I think is the best. 
Anyways…. here are some pictures. 

I inserted a zipper instead of a snap for the outside pocket. I plan to do this on my next super tote too (a gift for our nanny).

I also did not top stitch the leather. It gets pretty thick on to with all the folded layers.

I still used interfacing on the leather as the pattern suggests. The leather was still pretty thin and I wanted to give it more structure.

On the other side I used some leather to make a trim detail.

Blocks make good bag weights to make pictures! 🙂

I am super happy that the leather turned out the way I envisioned!